Summer will soon be knocking on the door - the time of shorts, skirts, dresses and this year maybe even beach holidays! With less then 2 months to go to the main summer holiday season, are you looking for tricks how to make your legs look better, smoother and cellulite free?
The solution may be simpler and cheaper than you ever thought - dry body brushing! No expensive treatments or chemicals, just a natural inexpensive body brush with natural bristle and consistency.
What is a dry body brushing?
Dry brushing is a technique that helps you take care of the skin using only one tool, a dry body brush. Traditionally these brushes are made of wood and natural bristle, commonly used are tampico (agave) or coconut bristle.
This technique involves brushing dry skin without any creams or oils. The areas of focus are usually legs, arms and stomach.
It doesn't only help to lightly and gently exfoliate skin, but more importantly kick-start the lymphatic drainage and improve blood circulation in the skin.
What are the dry brushing benefits?
If used on a regular basis for at least a few weeks, you will soon see an improvement. You skin will feel smoother in only a few days, later you will start to see your skin looking more even, cellulite will start disappearing.
Dry brushing also releases tension and relaxes muscles and helps to reduce swelling.
It can also be a rescue if you have fresh stretch marks for example after pregnancy.
How to dry brush your skin?
- use a long sliding motion from bottom up - movement direction must always go towards the heart (lymph flow)
- brush your legs and hands as if you were sweeping the floor :) For your stomach and joints (e.g. elbows, knees, hips, wrists and ankles) use gentle circular movements
- do not apply pressure as the sharp bristle could scratch and hurt your skin, exfoliation is not the main purpose of dry body brushing
- NO balms or oils should be used for the massage
How often to dry brush your skin?
- ideally before each bath/shower, but we understand that's easier said than done for busy mums, so try at least 3 times a week
- After the first 3 or 4 brushes you will see and feel your skin getting smoother
Using a body brush regularly will improve skin's elasticity, reduce the appearance of cellulite, help stimulate the immune system and even improve your mood.